Fact or Fiction: Your mobile phone has more germs than a toilet seat
Studies have shown that mobile phones carry 7 to 10 times more germs than a toilet seat. It is one of the most frequently touched items in our daily lives, yet one of the items that is least cleaned and disinfected. Bringing your mobile phone into the toilet or bathroom increases the exposure to germs as flushing of toilets spread the germs around and dirty hands come into contact with the mobile phones before they are washed.
Disinfect your mobile phone frequently with a disinfectant and a cloth, and avoid bringing or using your mobile phone in the toilet or bathroom. It is also equally important to clean your phone case as the dirt and dust accumulates in the casing over time. We often clean our phone screen regularly but neglect cleaning the inner side of the case.
How to clean your phone case:
- Add dish washing liquid to a cup of warm water and stir the solution until you
- Take a unwanted clean brush and soak it in the solution
- Use the brush to scrub the phone case, including all the corners and edges
- Leave the phone case to rest for a while with the solution and rinse it with water
- Allow the phone case to dry completely before putting it onto your phone
Also, if you are bringing your mobile phone to the toilet, closing the toilet lid before flushing also helps to reduce the spread of germs to other surfaces.